Advance Crew Escape Suit
Model S1035 Advanced Crew Escape Suit for NASA Shuttle and MPCV/Orion DevelopmentThe Model S1035 ACES is a full pressure suit designed to protect crew members from a variety of hazards during the launch and re-entry phases of spaceflight.
- Simplified, lightweight, low bulk pressure suit
- Facilitates self-donning/doffing
- Provides improved comfort
- Enhances overall performance
- Reduces crewmember stress and fatigue
The S1035 ACES first flew aboard STS-68 in August 1994 and subsequently supported all remaining shuttle flights through the end of the program, STS-135 in July 2011. Currently, an enhanced version of the S1035 ACES is being considered for use with NASA’s MPCV/Orion vehicle. This prototype incorporates improved mobility elements and can be configured for closed-loop ECLSS operations.